top of page

What to do when a person dies

Following a bereavement, I fully appreciate that this can be an upsetting and confusing time; I would like to reassure you that I am here to assist you and I am available 24 hours a day to answer any questions you may have. It is not necessary to have the death certicate in your possession before contacting me.

The following information may help you understand what to do when bereavement occurs.

When a death occurs at home

The first contact should be with the family doctor, who will normally call at the house and confirm a death has occurred. When you are ready to allow me to take care of your loved one, simply phone and I will attend the house at a convenient time to you. If the Doctor is satisfied as to the cause of death, they will issue a medical certicate showing the cause.

This will usually have to be collected from the surgery, however I can do this on your behalf. This will enable you to register the death and collect the death certificate from the registrar.

When a death occurs at a nursing home or residential home:

When a person dies in a nursing home or residential home, the manager, sister or staff nurse will be there to assist you. You will need to advise them when you are ready for me to take your loved one into my care. I will contact the doctor on your behalf to arrange for the medical certicate showing the cause of death to be collected. This will then enable you to register the death and collect the death certificate from the registrar.

When a death occurs in hospital

When a person dies in hospital, you will need to contact the Bereavement Office to collect the medical certificate showing the cause of death and any personal effects of the deceased, however I can take care of this for you. This will then enable you to register the death and collect the death certicate from the registrar. Once the necessary paperwork has been completed, upon your instruction, we will be able to take your loved one into our care.

When someone dies suddenly

All sudden deaths must be reported to the Coroner. The police usually attend to ensure that there are no suspicious circumstances. The Coroner will then decide whether a post-mortem or an inquest will need to be conducted. When this occurs, the Police may ask which funeral director they intend to use, however they may contact their own staff to transport the deceased to the public mortuary. The choice of the funeral director for the forthcoming service is solely the decision of the family. If you are in any doubt please do not hesitate to contact me for immediate advice.

Close Up of Pink Roses
Almond Tree Flowers
Purple Hyacinth
bottom of page